Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Gringo Chicken Taquitos

Today was one of those days where I look at the clock and wonder where the time went.

It's the last week of class of the quarter, so I've been preparing for 3 tests and readying a lab notebook.

This is a great recipe for those, oh crap, I didn't plan dinner and it's 5:30 kind of days.

Also, we didn't make it to the grocery store this week. Not only did we not have dinner plans, I was out of coffee this morning. It was not a good way to start the day.

But look how great they turned out.


I must admit though, these were made in New York state, and I just don't have access to some of the more traditional things for taquitos. I'm also way too lazy to pull out my frier on a Tuesday night.

But they are still tasty, creamy, and crunchy, as well finished quickly, so I was happy with them.

But they're not traditional, so I've dubbed them "gringo".

Thank you, Code Boyfriend, for the action shots.

Gringo Chicken Taquitos
  •  2 Chicken Breasts, cooked, or rotisserie chicken meat
  • 1/2 a Brick of Cream Cheese (4oz)
  • 1 Can of Green Chilies
  • 1 cup of Shredded Cheddar Cheese
  • Cooking Spray
  • Tortillas
First, shred your chicken. I do this in my KitchenAid with the paddle attachment, but you can also shred the chicken by hand, and mix together yourself. But it won't be such a quick meal.
Then add your can of chilies. I tend to just keep the mixer running on low while I toss things in the bowl.
Then add your cream cheese.

And your regular cheese. This completes the awesome chicken filling. This is also where my apartment become divided...

Traditional taquitos are made with corn tortillas. I almost always prefer corn tortillas anyways, so this works for me. But Code Boyfriend and Roommate loudly disagree with this preference. I end up filling both kinds of tortillas with about 2 tablespoons of filling, and then rolling.

But be warned, the flour ones aren't really taquitos, they're flautas. I get very cranky about that. But don't listen to me. They're good both ways, and I'm a grump this week.

Next, put every one on a cookie sheet, spritz with cooking spray, and place in a 400 degree oven, for about 7 minutes, or until the edges get crispy.


I have the world's least reliable oven, so your times may be radically different. Just watch them. They brown up fast. Don't say I didn't warn you.


I serve with salsa (weak, sad pathetic salsa that is masquerading as "hot" in New York) and sour cream.

I always make a bunch of extras and freeze them. Way better than any other frozen taquitos I've ever had. Just reheat in the oven and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment