Saturday, January 12, 2013

Buttermilk Waffles

Saturday mornings are usually pretty sleepy around here.

Sleep late, eat breakfast at the table like humans, and drink coffee slowly out of a real cup and not a travel mug.

This is in stark contrast from school mornings, where I inhale a bowl of oatmeal while packing my backpack and drink coffee while driving to school.

So after a late night of Settler's of Catan and alcohol, everyone slept in. Once I got up, I got this idea in my head that I wanted to make waffles.

I had some leftover buttermilk from trying to make Buffalo Cauliflower... that recipe needs a little more tweaking before I share it.


So buttermilk waffles it is!

Buttermilk Waffles

Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
  • 2 Cups of Flour
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
  • 1 and 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 2 Tablespoons of Sugar
  • 2 Cups of Buttermilk
  • 4 Tablespoons of Butter, melted
  • 2 Eggs, separated
Combine flour, salt, baking soda, and sugar in a large bowl.

Combine buttermilk, melted butter, and egg yolks.

Gently combine the wet and dry ingredients, stirring until just combined.

In a separate clean bowl, whip the egg whites into soft peaks. This means that when you remover the beater or whisk and turn it upside down, a small mound will flop over the top.

Softly fold the whipped egg whites into the batter.

Pour 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of batter, depending on the size of the iron, into a preheated waffle iron. Make sure to remember to oil the waffle iron! I use Pam for this.

Cook for 3-7 minutes, depending on how hot your waffle iron gets. I usually need to be closer to 7 minutes, with my Oster Waffle Iron. 


It's not fancy, but it makes decent waffles.

I always move finished waffles directly onto the rack in a warm over so they stay crispy as I finish the rest of the waffles.

My first batch of waffles in this iron was a yeasted recipe, which were awesome, but these cook way faster and don't have to sit out over night like the yeast recipes do.

This is a solid, no prep, waffle recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment