Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Slow Cooker Peanut Butter Granola


Hello world!

 I'm sorry about my absence, but if you just give me a moment to explain, I think you'll understand. I had a massive yarn bombing project that was exhibited on May 5th. That Saturday, my Daddy also graduated with a Masters degree... on the other side of the country. Very bittersweet day for me not being able to be home with my family. My sister graduated from the University of Colorado on May 11th, so I took 3 days to fly to Colorado to see that. But since my school is on the quarter system, I had to go back, finish up a week of school, then finals, then move out of my house. Which I thought I had under control... Why don't you guess how wrong I was.

 We had a crisis in my school family. There is a difficult balance you have to strike in college. You need a support system that is not from your parents, you need to transition into being an adult. Total reliance on my parents is not longer an option. But I still don't feel like I'm fully grown yet. I don't work during the school year, and most of my days are still filled with homework and friends. The Wednesday before finals week, I needed to be an adult.

One of my school family members stopped being able to breathe and spent the night in the Trauma unit of a local hospital. Someone needed to be there until her mom could fly into town. 6 days later she was still in the hospital, now in stable condition. Nothing in life seems important when someone you care for is struggling for every breath. I did what I needed to do, I re-prioritized my life. I had to take a C in a class I should have earned a B in because I was too tired to study. I had to take a B in a class I should have gotten an A in because I still needed to pack.

 I'm figuring out that the reason I can't get straight A's is because life gets in the way. Sometimes, sleep is more important than Organic Chem. In 20 years, it won't matter that I got a C instead of a B in Organic Chem 3, but hopefully it will still matter that I commit to being a good friend. I am the type of person to call at 2 AM. I'm more proud of that than I would be of a 4.0.

 Luckily, this whole mess is over. My friend is out of the hospital and luckily still got to put on her robes, and walk across the stage at graduation. And, after a 3 day drive, I am now home. Here, I don't really need to be the adult in the room. I can take a day off. Sit in the sun and drink my coffee. Pet and dog and watch TV. It's a nice break.


Awe.. Aren't they cute?

Moving on. I find granola to be the perfect summer breakfast. I mean, add some nice cool yogurt, and some berries, what could be better? But, I don't know anyone who makes their own granola who hasn't burnt a batch on the stove or in the oven. I make mine in a slow cooker to take away some of the granola burning risks. I can throw everything into the slow cooker and leave it on all afternoon, stirring when I feel like it, or can smell the granola.

 Peanut Butter Slow Cooker Granola 
makes about 7 cups
  • 5 cups of Old Fashioned Oats
  • 1 cup of Sweetened Coconut
  • 1 cup of Chopped Peanuts
  •  1/2 cup of Vegetable Oil
  • 1/2 cup of Peanut Butter 

 Place the oats, coconut, and peanuts in the slow cooker.

I like to chop my peanuts so they incorporate into the granola. But to each their own.

Mix oil

 


 and peanut butter in a separate container. I usually microwave these two for about 20 seconds. It will make combining them much easier.


Mix the peanut butter mixture into the oats.

 Now is when I add about 2 tablespoons of honey. Since I just got back to Colorado and my allergies are killing me, I am using raw, local honey. Hopefully this internet lore makes my allergies better. I'm willing to try anything at this point.

I don't measure this. Measuring honey is too much of a pain for me to waste time on. Feel free to eyeball this.

Turn the slow cooker on low, mixing every 30 minutes or so for 5 hours. Leave the lid off to prevent steam from building up. You want the granola crispy, not soggy.


After a couple hours, the granola starts to brown up very nicely. You can turn the cooker up to high, but the granola will need to be stirred more frequently to prevent burning.


When the granola gets all toasty and dry, let it cool in the slow cooker. MMM... granola.
 
Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment