Monday, March 7, 2011

Blueberry Cupcake Pies

Winter quarter at school managed to come and go without enough time in my schedule for a blog post.

Than Spring break showed up last week, and with a trip home with the boyfriend, and a major cold, I once again couldn't blog.

Here we are at Week 1 of Spring quarter. A new hope at the end of a long hard winter. In celebration of this, I have decided to show my own attempts at cupcake sized pies. I was inspired by not martha's blog where she made little pies in jars.

I'm in college. I wanted little pies. And I had no jars. So, the internet has exploded with people making cupcake sizes pies, and I tried my hand at it..

I will warn you before you try things out, eating them makes you feel like a giant, and that is addicting.

Blueberry Cupcake Pies


I started by making a batch of my sugar cookie dough. I have never been a fan of fruit pies because they are either soggy on the bottom, or the crust isn't sweet enough on its own. I wanted a strong pie crust, so see my post, A Nice Change of Scenery for the recipe.

I made a batch of the sugar cookie dough...

then cut out circles with a cup. My cups are very large, so I ended up with circles with about a 4 inch diameter, which was perfect for using as the bottom of my crusts.

I pushed these into my muffin tin, after spraying the pan with non-stick spary and baked for 375 degrees for 3 minutes, so when I added the blueberry goodness they didn't get soggy.
I filled these barely baked pie shells full of blueberry filling, (recipe below) and used the scraps from cutting out the crusts to make some cute top crusts.

I sprinkled the tops of the pies with sugar, then the pies were then bakes for 15-20 minutes, until the tops were golden brown, and the filling was bubbling.

Blueberry Filling

  • 1 and a half cup sugar
  • 2 cups of frozen blueberry
  • 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons of apple juice
  • Half a lemon's worth of lemon juice, about 3 tablespoons
  • Half a lemon's worth of lemon zest

  1. Heat sugar and blueberries in a non-stick pot until the sugar melts completely. It will look like it will never happen. But wait it out. And do not raise the heat of the stove over medium. Molten sugar burns are not fun...
  2. Cook the sugar and blueberry mixture for 2 minutes, then mix the remaining ingredients. Mix and keep heating until the the mixture becomes one cohesive filling.

3.  Let the filling cool and thicken for about 5 minutes until spooning into prepared pie shells and baking.


No comments:

Post a Comment